For discussion topics: my daily schedule consists of
waking up at 6:30 in the morning, reading my scriptures or eating breakfast or
laying in bed trying to get up the energy to get out of bed. You think it would
get easier after doing this for almost 17 months but it ISN'T. At the end of
the day I feel good about myself having gotten up at 6:30 but that's at the end
of the day. I hate life from the time I wake up til about 1 or 2 pm. I am so
tired and miserable in the morning but I make do. It's kind of like having a
far-left socialist anti-American enemy of the free world black panther
Gadianton robber president who I didn't vote for because I'm not a .... (edited
by mom). It SUCKS but life goes on. The gospel is still true.
The typical dinner appointment includes showing up to
someone's house who I've never met before, knocking on the door and then being
told her husband still isn't home and so we're welcome to wait outside in the
cold until he arrives, entertaining children, shooting the bull for 10 minutes
to an hour in the living room until dinner is ready, being told she's never
made this dish before and we are guinea pigs, exchanging pleasantries and
playing The King and I "getting to know you" game, trying to remember
all the kids' names, asking questions about his profession and job which I know
absolutely nothing about but I pretend to for sake of conversation (it's an
extremely useful Dale Carnegie tactic), politely laughing at the point of the
conversation when I tell them I'm from Utah and they say "and you got
called to Idaho? wow that sucks." or "like the Singles' Ward
right?", and finally making the awkward transition from dinner
conversation to leaving with a spiritual message and then a prayer before we
go....
That's a TYPICAL dinner appointment. I've been in this
area long enough I've pretty well got a lot of the members figured out and it's
just like having dinner with family and friends. But we don't get pizza NEARLY
as often as when I was in the Boise/Meridian area. I have not tried very many
new foods since I've been in Idaho. The most exotic thing was a mayonnaise
sandwich I had to choke down a time or two in fear of offending the host by
rejecting their quick snack. I know I sound really insincere but I promise I'm
not. I LOVE the people of Idaho. They're some of the finest individuals I've
ever known.
Whilst I've spent my time tracting after the manner of
Ammon, I don't think I've learned any new skills specifically except for maybe
roofing. I'd done roofing once before my mission with Don Adams on my gramma's
roof. Since I've been in New Plymouth, there have been 3 maybe 4 separate
occasions I've had to either patch roofs or put on a new roof and each time
we've taught several lessons and received lots of referrals.
It's alright. I am also happy I'm getting closer to
coming home. I really miss you guys and I'm excited to get back into normal
life with all the knowledge and growing up I've been doing. I miss dad and
Dallin and Kadi and the boys too. I'm really excited to watch movies with you
guys again.
Love you!
tay
No comments:
Post a Comment