Monday, December 10, 2012

Cow Manure



"The gospel is kind of like cow manure. If you keep it to yourself, it stinks. If you spread it around, it actually does some good." - Elder West

So the first cool thing that happened this week was on Thursday. This past week life has kinda sucked because Ady has been sick and then on Friday I got sick, too. Between the two of us we've been taking a lot of sick time this past week, but miraculously enough, we still managed to hit our quota for the week.

Anyway on Thursday we were moseyin' along to an appointment a couple of miles away and we stopped at a Chevron to use the john. After we had finished we were sitting still for a moment so Ady could recoop. Being the stallion I know I am, I bought him a Sprite to help his stomach-ache. At the same time I was checking out, there were these two kids who we'd seen a week earlier playing at a member's home, probably about 9 and 11, dumping out nickels and dimes and a few crumpled $1 bills to buy some candy and junk. While they were fussing trying to count out the change, I leaned across them and handed the other cashier my card and told her I'd pay for it. The two cashiers that were there beamed with appreciation for my kind act and thanked me. The kids didn't realize what I had done after I had finished paying and then the older of the two earnestly tried to hand me some of the wrinkled cash and I didn't accept it. I just shook their hands and then sent them on their way...

It was a really neat feeling. I mean, buying my comp a drink is cool and everything but it's something I try to do often, just because I like to buy folks drinks and I'm a stud like that. But it was really cool "paying it forward" and forking out five bucks for stuff that I had nothing to do with. I know it wasn't a huge thing but it felt good buying something for complete strangers, when so often people I don't know do the same for me. It was sweeeeet...

And I got the temple pants in the mail. They fit nicely but I do have some weight to lose so they fit even better. I weighed myself the other day and I'm up 40lbs since June 2011. Ew. Pretty soon here I'll begin the "6 Months to Sexy" missionary workout so I don't look like a hobo in June. Some stuff I've been meaning to add is to tell you that the ward building we attended in my last area in Fruitland is the EXACT same design as our building in the Avra Valley ward in Marana.

It was super nostalgic and I kind of enjoyed it. Also, about a week before I got transferred my comp and I went and donated BLOOD! Mom - I gave them the address to the place in Vernal so it's likely you'll get stuff in the mail soon. That was also cool because I know my pint o' blood will go to help someone else who is a complete stranger.

We had a baptism on Saturday! XX, originally from the Dominican Republic but raised in Georgia, who had been meeting with mercenaries for the past year finally got dunked. She's in her late 40's, about 5'nothin and portly and maintains a sort of monotone enthusiasm, always making jokes about something. She's got a rock-solid testimony and we're expecting that to influence her family. We're getting crap DONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment