Good golly miss molly another wonderful week has yet again passed!
Thursday we had dinner with the Black's, a cute young couple going to school and working. First I noticed the name, "Black" and asked the man where he was from. He said he was raised in Colorado but his family is largely from Blanding. I then thought to myself, 'Holy balls... How interesting.' And I began to ask him more about his family. I asked him another number of probing questions but he said he didn't know a whole lot about his family history. He did, however, mention his grandpa was *Gerald (I'm not sure on the spelling but it's pronounced "JAIR-old") Black. I told him my connection to the Black's and it appears we very well may be related! Last name of Black and strong ties to Blanding, UT? I think we're on to something... BUT if that's not weird enough, he served in the Chile Osorno mission. I told him my connection to that as well and he agrees it's a small freakin' world.
*Mom, would you look into this? I told him about your knowledge and pursuit of family history and he's interested as well. I figure if there's anyone who would know it's between you and Gramma.
Zone Conference was on Friday which I enjoyed thoroughly. The thing that sticks out most in my mind was a handful of musical solos performed by other missionaries. Some of the most beautiful things I have ever heard. I admire the power music has and the influence it maintains. Few other things have ever brought the Spirit so powerfully for me and it's inspired me to pursue music further, in the mission and someday maybe at school.
Saturday was SICK! We celebrated the 50th anniversary of the 16th ward's annual "Corn Feed" ward barbecue. The ward all came and some additional 20 nonmembers - some our aligators and others friends of members. One of our alligators, Nigmat, catered the event. He's from Russia and he's been in the States now for 5 years. He knows English but his accent is thicker than Wayne County's inability to pronounce the word "favorite". It's hard to understand him until you kinda get used to it. But I sincerely wish Dusty could be here! He'd LOVE Nigmat and Nigmat would love Dusty. Him and his wife, Oma, are some of the most humble, loving individuals I've ever met. Whenever we go to his house he'll make us food - as it is a part of the culture. We eat first and talk second. ANYWAY he's been to church a time or two - thanks to his next door neighbor Sheila - and he LOVES it. He was really worried at first about going to church because in Russia (more specifically Uzbekistan) you have to pay to go to church. We told him that's a vile and odious sin and he came to church! So he's got this catering business, as cooking is one of his passions, and without invitation he volunteered to cook for any shindig or hoedown the ward might have. We immediately took him up on that and he cooked Pilaf - a nomb biggidy rice dish - and Kebobs for the event, all of which was unfreakinbelievable. We loved it as well as the rest of the ward. Elder Olivas and I were accompanied by a recent convert, 13-year old studmuffin Ryan D., and we showed up to help him get ready at noon that day. We cooked until it started at 6 and all things were excellent. Another beautiful year in celebration of this "corny" tradition.
That concludes our update for now but stay tuned! There is more to come shortly.
Elder Tay
Mom's note:
Taylor would be related to the Black's through William Morley Black (1826-1915) on his Grandma Ehlers' side. William Morley had several wives. Mr. Black would a descendant from his first wife, Margaret Ruth, and Marilyn is from another wife, Amy Jane. So Mr. Black and Taylor would be distant cousins.
Mom's note:
Taylor would be related to the Black's through William Morley Black (1826-1915) on his Grandma Ehlers' side. William Morley had several wives. Mr. Black would a descendant from his first wife, Margaret Ruth, and Marilyn is from another wife, Amy Jane. So Mr. Black and Taylor would be distant cousins.

No comments:
Post a Comment