08.28.2011
It's finally happened! Yesterday was my FIRST baptism! Did I tell you about Sheila S.? In case I didn't, lemme bring you to speed. She's one of the very first people I met since I've been out here. She is one the sweetest little old ladies I have ever met. I've never seen a testimony and faith like hers it is unfreakinbelievable, one that could move mountains.
She's been investigating the church for three years or so now and her path to baptism had included giving up smoking. I want to say it's been over the past six months she's from three packs a day to zero. She finally killed the cat a couple of weeks ago and she was baptized yesterday. She's got the biggest heart. She loves everyone so much – even her son, who's the foulest and most horrible of schmucks, which I don't understand, but then again I'm not a mother, nor will I ever be.
I gave a talk on the Holy Ghost (and cried after the part when I retold the story of my accident) and she was baptized by her deceased husband's cousin and dearest of friends, Jim.
But still the only credit I can take, besides being the studmuffin I already am, is helping her get from the last couple of smokes to confirming her a member – which Elder Olivas did and I stood in the circle.
Next item on the to-do list is my new companions! His name is Elder Dabel --- like the Lord confounded the languages at the tower of “Dabel”, Jesus Christ was born in Bethlehem in a “Dabel”, Anne of Green “Dabels”, Cain slew “Dabel”, come home from a long day's work sit on the couch and put your feet up on the coffee “Dabel”, Hercules is a Greek myth or Greek “Dabel”, when there's a problem with the TV you might the “Dabel” man, before you play with Drain-O you should read the warning “Dabel” … Now, you'll never forget!
He's a righteous dude. He's been out for five months now but he's new to this area. We get along really well and it's nice to have someone else here for Elder Olivas to focus on.
There's another set of alligators we have that have gotta be one my most favorites, Jerry and Valicity C. and 20 month-old Cora – the cutest blonde-haired, blue-eyed child I have ever seen. He's originally from South Africa and she's live in Idaho her whole life. Really some of the most amazing people I've ever met. Jerry has a strong religious background and know his stuff better than most. Val has a rough history with organized religion … there were some family problems when she was young and the church she belonged to hung her and her family our to dry for it. It makes me sick! People who claim devout Christianity and piss on the example of Chris for sake of conformity. 'Tis quite GAY. Since then, while maintaining a belief in God, she's made a point to steer clear of organized religion. For reasons I remain uncertain of, he does the same.
Anyway what we have to offer is perfect for them! One of the first things they did when we met them was muse (?) over the fact that the Mormon church is so organized. They've never heard or seen anything like it, the structure, the organization, the image, the respect, etc. Jerry said he believes after everything else falls apart and the world goes to crap, Mormonism will be the only thing left standing and will be the world power! I wanted to tell him that was kinda our plan but I figured we'd best leave that discussion alone for another day …
They've already been to church a time or two and love it. They love nursery and the concept of different classes for different ages and things. One of the things I love about this place is the support and decency of the members. They were – and are – a HUGE help in fellowshipping. Jerry and Val REALLY like that, as do I. The work is moving forward!
Anyway, I've gotta wrap it up now but I'll be getting back to you soon! Love you all!
Sincerely,
elder tay
PS: If you haven't me yet, write me!
(Letter transcribed by mom)

No comments:
Post a Comment